Manuals FS

George T. Baker w5yr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Jan 22 18:08:55 EST 2000

Just to fill in some historical background for those who never heard of a
Sonar XE-10:

My first venture on phone back in 1947 - after about a year on 20 cw -
was on ten meters with a Sonar XE-10 FM Exciter. This little unit was
crystal controlled and provided a signal in place of the usual crystal
oscillator in a rig. It was phase-modulated and produced an approximation
to an FM signal that was about 5 KHz wide. It could be demodulated by
"slope detection." That is, the AM receiver was tuned such that the
signal was on the slope of the IF response curve so that frequency
variations were converted into amplitude variations. The result was
surprisingly good-sounding audio that many could not detect was not
regular AM once they got it tuned in.

The little boxes worked quite well, except that they all seemed to be
plagued with a hum that just couldn't be eliminated. I even used it on
the 11-meter band when it was still a ham band.

Thanks for the memories!

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov