Does ANYBODY know?? (SS-9000)

Daniel Ruth heathkit at JUNO.COM
Wed Jan 26 21:27:31 EST 2000

I'll start right off and say that this message is mainly directed to
those on the list own a SS-9000 or who worked for Heathkit around the
time (1981-1984) that the SS-9000 was developed and marketed.

1) I am curious to know how many of these rigs were actually put into
circulation.  I've heard/read numbers that put the number at about 2,000,
but when I was at Dayton last year, I got involved in a discussion with
someone who said that he had worked for Heath at that time (I
unfortunately didn't get his name) and he said that Heath was lucky if
EVEN 200 WENT OUT THE DOOR!!!!  (He said it with confidence).

2) The other questions has to do with where the SS-9000 was constructed.
The SS-9000 auction that was recently consumated on xXxx produced what
appeared to be the ORIGINAL box for the radio - and, although it didn't
say SS-9000 on it, it DID say Heath - and it also said MADE IN JAPAN!!!
(Yes, I've been networking with the successful bidder of that auction).
The original 1982 catalog write-up lead one to believe that the radio was
made in the US.

Can anybody "in the know" fill in the details.

3) I have knowledge of 28 owners of this rig.  Now, I'd like to ask you
if I can pester you to send me the SERIAL NUMBER of your SS-9000.  This
may help answer Question #1 above.  (The rig from the auction mentioned
above was only 6 away from my serial number).

** Please respond privately because I don't think that the majority of
the list subscribers care about this topic.

Tnx, Danny  W3ZF
heathkit at juno.com

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov