HW-101 Still has Low Output

Will, Mark mark.will at LSIL.COM
Mon Jan 31 11:00:01 EST 2000

Several folks had suggestions as to how to cure the Low-Output on my
HW-101.  So at the suggestion of many, I attempted to tighten all circuit
board screws and re-align the unit again.  Alas, I still have no better
results.  However, I have found some clues as to where the problem might
be.  If I remove the cover from the heterodyne, driver, and grid coils, the
output jumps to 100 watts on all bands.  The area most affected by the
coil cover seems to be near the steel switch shield between the
driver-grid and driver-plate switch boards.  I can short the rails together
at
each side of the switch boards and shields.  When I get near the shield
between the driver-grid and driver-plate board, the output power goes
from 100 watts to near 10 watts or so. I am fairly confident that the
cover is not shorting anything on the circuit boards.  I have tried removing
the the spring clips on the coil cover as per Heath Service Bulletin
HW-101-4.  And, I have tried replacing the aluminum comb brackets with
steel brackets and soldering the boards and shields to these brackets per
Heath Service Bulletin HW-101-8 and HW-101-9.  Now I can only get
about 15 watts out on every band except 15 meters which has about
90 watts out.

Why would I have so much RF running around on these steel switch
shields??  Is steel maybe not such a good material for these shields??
Should I suspect some bad connection between the chassis causing
ground loops??

Mark

Mark C. Will
E-mail: mark.will at lsil.com