For Rharris3: Cleaning the HW-2036A[via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.com]

John H. Klingelhoeffer WB4LNM at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 2 07:06:40 EDT 2000

RHarris3;

I looked at the pictures of the HW-2036A and the Regency on your web site.
Have these been close to a fire or something ?!   I know the following will
sound strange, but it has worked very well for me in this situation.

Here is what I would do with them, and it has worked very well for me.  I
would take the outer cases off (very easy for these units).  For the HW-2036,
remove the knobs and remove the outer front panel by taking the control hex
nuts off, and then physically remove the meter by unscrewing and unsoldering.
 For both units, figure out how to remove the speakers, if they are still in
good condition, because this cleaning will destroy any paper.  I'd also try
unhooking the microphones.  Then, spray them all over with a cleaner like
"409" or "Fantastik" or "Simple Green".

Next, put them in the electric dishwasher, and put the chassis and parts on
the top rack and the cases on the bottom, without anything else (grimy
dishes, etc.) in the dishwasher.  Use only about a quarter of the normal dry
dishwashing detergent, because it is very alkaline and it will etch the
surface if concentrated.

If you have additional settings, turn all extra heat off, but put it on "pot
scrubber"  or the longest cycle you have.  IF you cannot disable the drying
cycle (sometimes called energy save or air dry) then you are going to have to
catch the dishwasher before it goes into the dry cycle and remove the
equipment.  Thats not as hard as it sounds.

When the cycle stops or when you interrupt it, take the equipment out and
carry it outside and shake it vigorously to get rid of the water that has
been caught in the nooks and crannies.  Let it dry for a couple of days in
that hot Tampa sun, bringing the equipment inside if it rains and during the
night.

When it is dry, reassemble it (after hand cleaning the meter, of course).
Use a small toothpick to add the smallest possible drop of SAE30 oil to each
rotating switch and potentiometer shaft to make them work smoothly (the
dishwasher and 409 will have completely degreased the chassis).

At that point, it should be nice and clean to start working on.  I know this
sounds strange, but I have done this on commercial, consumer and military
electronic equipment, and it has always worked perfectly.  Always try to use
the minimum heat in the dishwasher, the minimum amount of detergent, and the
maximum amount of AIR drying time (unheated).  Just remember to remove
anything that is paper (speakers, labels), fragile (meters, etc.), and in
this case, the microphones, that you want to save first.

Uhhhhhhh...... it also helps to keep your spouse out of the kitchen during
this procedure.  They sometimes get a little, well, concerned.

John...
WB4LNM

"One of the Hams from Heath" (1979-1981)