Shipping Blues[via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.com]

Harvey A. Kader optom at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Sun Jul 9 01:11:14 EDT 2000

Bob said it succinctly. In general, I would recommend OVER PACKING any
item, especially delicate items.

One of my favorite ways is DOUBLE BOXING. This involves placing the item
in a box with packaging. Then sealing this box, and placing it in a
LARGER box with packaging. I find that with this technique nothing ever
gets damaged. Of course the overall package weighs more, and is bigger
in size, but the extra cost is worth it.

The item literally FLOATS in the packaging in the first smaller box.
This box then floats in the second larger box. What is created here is a
SUSPENSION system much like in a motor vehicle. The passenger(the item)
floats on the cushion of DOUBLE packaging.

One word of caution with this method - do NOT over use packaging
material to the extent that the item is squeezed in the packaging
material. The item must FLOAT(read- shake) in the packaging. So use just
enough packaging to hear the item shake within the box, but NOT stuffed
so much that the box can hardly be closed. However, sufficient packaging
must be used to float the item. Too much packaging results in any shock
waves being transmitted directly to the packaging. Almost as bad as no
packaging at all!

Harvey.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov