Shipping[via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.com]

Jim Berry basalop at GTE.NET
Sun Jul 9 20:54:07 EDT 2000

I have been reading everyone's shipping horror story.  About the same
goes around every few months.  It all boils down to a few simple
things, regardless of who you ship with.

The object has to be correctly packaged.  You have a 75 LB Heath to
ship?  After you get it all packed, will it survive a kick down a
flight of stairs?  If not, then it is at risk.  It is much easier to
ship a 7.5 LB radio.  Takes less of everything.

Those packaging places can be a rip.  I will tell a little story for
those who are interested:

I found a nice old radio for a fella on the other side of the
country.  He insisted that I save myself the time and trouble, and
take the radio to one of those packaging places.  I did, and they
just dropped it in a box of loose peanut packaging foam.  Needless to
say this fine old radio got thrashed.

My suggestion when it comes to someone requesting you use a
professional shipper:

Learn how to properly pack a radio.  Test out your packaging skills.
Pretend your a delivery dude that belongs to a union!  I have
received radios, that were packed well, without a single scratch.
The box may be thrashed, and the radio jarred so hard as to knock the
tubes out of their sockets.

A person requests you save yourself the time and trouble of doing the
packing yourself, do it anyway.  Heck, your good now, your packages
can survive the flight of stairs, and union gorilla test.  Then take
your package to a "pro" and let them put your package inside their
package.  Tell the pro what you did.  The secret is spreading any
stress around and protecting the front of the radio.  If it shifts,
thrash city.

73 Jim K7SLI

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov