Designing Kits in the Digital Era[via LSMTP - see www.lsoft.com]

Thomas Beltran tbeltran at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jul 12 05:23:48 EDT 2000

Harvey wrote:

> Imagine trying to build a kit designed in 2000 using modern components.
> All ICs, surface mount components, and all digital elecronics. It COULD
> be done, but would it be practical. Could most novices build it and
> align it? And would it cost less and NOT more than a factory assembled
> version of the same product.  This kit would be much more complicated to
> build than a tube based kit from 1950.

> So, it can be seen that although kits can, AND ARE, still be produced in
> 2000, they are just too many problems with this concept now. The only
> way to produce a kit today is to keep the circuity very simple and
> basic(even that concept was used in 1960 by kit manufacturers), and NOT
> expect the final product to be comparable to a MUCH MORE complicated
> factory designed and built product which has more features and does
> more.

I've been looking at the Elecraft K2.  The reviews seem to be good, it seems
to use modern components, and QST states that the receiver is VERY good.  Of
course it is not cheap.  I'd like to use it for trips and camping.

As far as some comments about Heath being a paperweight, I couldn't disagree
more.  I and my friends, as high school kids in the late '60s, bought Heath
because it was good gear at a good price.  In addition to price, it was the
thought that I could do needed repairs - and we did.  I still think it is
good gear; for a no-nonsense bare-bones CW xcvr, the HW-16 can't be beat.  I
can tell you, that as a 10th grader, it was an excellent rig in terms of
selectivity and the physical dial read-out, and ease of use.

My main rig is a Drake C line, and then an HW-16, I'm not sure what I would
gain by a modern rig except for smaller size, and lots of electronic
goodies - So what if the keyer is built-in and has memories (actually, I
still use a bug).  From the modern equipment I have used, I can't see that
there is any real performance advantage in terms of the ability to hear
stations and talk to them (isn't this what radio is about).  Maybe I'm just
entering that time of life where I'm becoming an "old-timer," but the
concept of "recycling" is about as modern as you can get!  Tom W6EIJ

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov