Silk-screening Radio Panels

Lee Bahr w5drc at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jul 15 02:10:13 EDT 2000

I have been doing some research on this subject because I too plan to do silk screening
for some of my projects.
1.  Yes,  correct, white is a big problem with toner.  I don't know of any and I need to
print lot's of WHITE, so forget iron on.
2.  Forget rub ons if you are talking about real restoration.  This would be a very
amateur approach at best.  You can't find pressure sensitive lettering in exact color
shade, exact font, graphics of the logo, and they are very expensive  if you can find
them. Besides, they never rub on exactly in the correct place anyway.
3.  You can only do a silk screen restoration by silk screening.
4..  The best book on the market right now on Screen Printing is:
Screen Printing A Contemporary Approach by Samuel B. Hoff.  Dellmar Publishers  ISBN
0-8273-7128-4
This book lists for $50.00 but you can buy it from Amazon.com for a 10% discount.  The
book will tell you what needs to be done.  This is a job of skill.  You need to get under
control 53 basic variables in the process.  It is not cheap to do one panel.  The process
is set up for repetition.  Yes, modern techniques allow one to use photography or
electronic photography to shoot the old panel and to correct it.  This helps make this
phase easier.  I would say,  for the average person,  who casually wants to do a
restoration, he  will not be willing to attempt silk screening once he knows what is all
involved.  The process can be done at home with some help from professional photo
services but unless you are dedicated, you simply won't do it.  I plan to do it, but then
again economic common sense does not always fit in to the scheme of things around this
shack!  My wife has given up on me to be rational many years ago.
Lee Bahr  w0vt  Houston

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov