Heath glory

Larry Gauthier larryg at ISMI.NET
Sat Jul 15 15:33:49 EDT 2000

Terry (et all),

Yes, I saw many of the things you mention (although the solid mass of solder
is a new one!) but my personal favorite was the kit builder who brought in
his inoperative guitar amplifier. "Blows circuit breaker" was the formal
complaint.

Removing the amp board from the case, the upper side of the PC board looked
OK. Components dressed cleanly, all transistors about 1/4 inch off the
board, banded end of diodes aligned properly. However, upon flipping the
board over, I discovered that the kit builder had somehow missed the section
of the manual where it said to trim all excess lead lengths of the
components. Sure, he had soldered all the components to the board, but then
took the remaining lead lengths and twisted them together in random little
hay sacks of 5 - 10 components.

Amazingly, after trimming the leads off and timidly applying power (we
_always_ used a rheostat to power up "basket cases"), the amp worked! The
only component that had to be replaced was the circuit breaker, which had
probably been cycled more times than the designers intended by a kit builder
who kept resetting the breaker and hoping it work the next time.

-larry
K8UT
a former ham from heath