Help w/HW-101

Ed Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Tue Jun 6 11:59:06 EDT 2000

Jerry;

I find Heathkit's instructions on aligning a vfo confusing if not plumb
wrong. I use the following method on all vfo's, regardless of make, model
or frequency. It works!

As a rule of thumb, you set the tuning capacitor to fully meshed and
adjust the coil for  the lowest frequency of the vfo (not necessarily the
dial); then open the plates and adjust the trimmer capacitor for the
highest frequency of the vfo (not necessarily the dial), plus 1/2 the
error. In other words you over-correct. Go back to the lowest frequency
and set the coil "right on", back to the high frequency end and set it
"right on" plus 1/2 the error. Each time you do this the error becomes
smaller until you are "right on" at both ends.

I don't have time right now to look it up but I believe your vfo runs
from 5.0 mc to 5.5 mc, reverse frequency. That is the lowest frequency of
the vfo is the highest frequency on the dial. If you want, I will look it
up later and let you know. Good luck.

Ed Richards

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov