Knob insert refinishing

Malcolm Leonard rosinfumes at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 7 05:45:52 EDT 2000

I used to run a professsional scale model building
service and among  the many materials I worked with
were various metal foils.Hobby shops sell metal foils
with glue already on the backside,and I used these as
well as ordinary household aluminum foil and foils
found in craft stores.The craft and household foils
require the use of a special glue sold by hobby shops
and called
"MicroScale Metal Foil Adhesive."

The hobby shop foils are rather thin and fragile,but
some household and craft foils are probably strong
enough to use as replacement inserts on Heathkit
knobs.

The Technique would be as follows:Cut a square piece
of foil somewhat larger than is needed to fit the
knob,and using a soft 1/8" artist brush QUICKLY apply
the adhesive,as it dries rapidly.It is a good idea to
use two coats to insure complete coverage.

Now,carefully apply the foil to the insert
area,working from the inside out and smoothing the
foil in place from the center of the knob out toward
the edges.Use Kleenex and/or Q tips to apply
pressure.Avoid wrinkling as much as possible.Finish
the foil application by running a q tip all around the
inner knob circumference to mold the foil in place.
Finish by using a SHARP xacto knife(anything less than
razor sharp will rip the foil)and cutting the foil all
around the inside knob edge.

It does take practice to become really good at foil
application;beginers always crinkle the foil,or rip
it.
But a little experience will allow you to become
proficient at the technique.If you goof up,remove the
foil with rubbing alcohol which is a solvent for the
glue.Clean the applicator brush in alcohol.
Malcolm Leonard

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov