SB 101 MIC IMPEDANCE??

Ed Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Wed Jun 21 06:35:21 EDT 2000

Rob;
The exact point at which an impedance is considered "high" is somewhat
arbitrary. It is commonly considered to be above 25k to 50k Ohms. 600
Ohms is defiantly NOT high impedance. It is considered "low" impedance.
Heathkit transmitters work best with a high output crystal mic, although
a high impedance dynamic mic will work too, if the output is sufficient.
Avoid carbon and Electret mics as they are not only low impedance, but
require an excitation voltage also. A crystal mic will usually measure
"open"  on an ohmmeter. A high impedance dynamic mic should measure in
the high hundreds or low  thousands of ohms. Impedance and resistance are
not the same thing. A 50k Ohm dynamic mic might measure only a thousand
Ohms on an Ohmmeter.. Hope this helps.

73,
Ed Richards

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov