SB-200 ALC mod for use with Icom 746

Gary Schafer gschafer at MEDIAONE.NET
Thu Mar 9 20:54:00 EST 2000

John

Swr has nothing to do with alc on an sb200 amp. The only way to generate alc voltage is to
overdrive it. That will happen if you do not have it loaded heavy enough. If I remember
right the alc is generated from the grid current in the amp. The lighter the loading the
more grid current it will draw, generating more alc voltage.  Again if I remember right,
the 10 volt threshold that they are talking about is how high the internal alc voltage has
to go inside of the amp before you see any output alc voltage.
You do need some sort of way to limit it so that it does not go to high and damage the
Icom radio. Either with a pot or a zener diode. There are several circuits floating around
to do this.

73
Gary  K4FMX

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov