Those ridiculous ebay prices & FS

Steve Slate restonham at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 10 08:44:06 EST 2000

>It is NOT the price at which the item will
> sell in an open marketplace since an auction IS NOT
>AN OPEN MARKETPLACE.

I beg to differ.  If anything, on-line auctions,
whether they be e-bay or any other, are the epitomy of
the open marketplace.  Sellers and buyers meet,
without any hype or other influence, and they, alone,
determine the final selling price of the item.  If
this is not an open marketplace, then I have no idea
what one would be.  Would you call today's gas prices
the result of open market forces??  The auctions are a
lot closer.

And it is very relevant to those of us who use, buy
and sell Heath equipment.  Unlike YaeKenIcom and other
items which are for sale new from the manufacturer,
the auctions have placed more Heath quipment at our
disposal than ever before.  Yes, the prices can be
high, but there are also many bargains out there.
Earlier this week, a HW-9 w/ps sold for just over
$200. When was the last time you saw one go for that
price?  At the same time, someone paid about $180 for
a HW-8.  Weird?  Yes, but that was what it was worth
to that person.  And that bid was not in a vacuum.  It
climbed there through a series of open market bids.

OK, here's a test.  I have a HW-8 that I want to sell.
Last time I put something on the QRP list (QRP-L) at
what I thought was a reasonable price, there were no
takers (other than 2 very low ball offers).  Everyone
has K-2 mania and is unloading their other QRP
equipment.  So I sold the rig on E-bay - (an OHR
Explorer) - I was disappointed - got less that I
thought it was worth - on the other hand, I got WHAT
IT WAS WORTH - in an open market.  And, I have to
admit, I have picked up a few bargains via the same
route - I guess no one was paying attention.

So, here it is - HW-8, with power supply and manual
(for rig only), Hotwater Handbook, hb audio xfrmer to
allow use of low impedance headphones and power
connector.  Shipped UPS insured in US for $150.  Rig
in very good physical condition, works well as a DC
rx, 1.5-2 watt xmtr, could probably use alignment,
have worked around the world with it.  Now let's see
the open market at work.  Failing that, I guess I have
to play auction roulette where I will get exactly what
its worth.

Oh, and why am I selling?  I recently acquired an HW-9
which I am having a ball with - and no, I didn't get
it off e-bay and paid quite a bit more and $200
without the ps.

72/73,

Steve, N4EUK
Reston, VA