Define Factory Wired

ekotkie ekotkie at EZL.COM
Mon Mar 13 13:54:34 EST 2000

"Mark V. Johnson VE3DJU" wrote:

> Can any of our "Former Hams at Heath" define for me what does "Factory
> Wired" mean?? Does this mean a standard kit was removed from the shelf and
> given to a technician to built or was an outside technician hired to built
> it, or indeed (I can't see this happening) was there some kind of
> manufacturing set up invoked to build stuff?? Also, could you have any kit
> factory built or was there just certain items available?

EK> My bride is a "Former Ham at Heath" who worked the "Wired Instruments group".  This
group had various techs assigned to different products that they built and aligned for the
stores through-out the country.  Most of these were made to spec and never had any "W"
designator.  I suspect that this pristene radio may have come from a store either when
they no longer carried the item in the catalog or when the store closed.  I looked at a
couple catalogs and very few items came pre-built.  I am looking at a IG-5240 that also
came wired and it was labeled as a SG-5240.  Another way that things came wired is if the
customer returned an item as not working.  The techs would take a quick check and if the
item was a disaster (frequently the case), the item was packed up and sent across the
street to the salvage house and was made available to employees (and lucky spouses) at a
greatly reduced price.  In those cases, a factory made and aligned unit was returned to
the customer.

Sigh....I sure do miss those days.

I hope this helps the group to better understand the process.

Ed

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov