Another SB-200 Question

Carl Hyde cshyde at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 15 10:56:54 EST 2000

Thanks very much to all those who replied with the
tuning knob alignment. Now for the next question.
I am running an SB-102 into the SB-200. I have two
antenna tuners, a newly purchased Heath 2040 and a Ten
Tec 238. My antenna is a G5RV fed with coax thru a
matching balun at the vertical twin lead.  The
SB-102/SB-200 will operate marginally into the G5RV
without a tuner. The SWR is between 2 and 3 depending
on band. My usual operating procedure is to tune the
SB-102 into a dummy load then switch it to the antenna
and match it up with the tuner.  I hooked up the Heath
2040 and found a good match on 80 meters but had a lot
of problems trying to match it up on the 20 meter
phone band. The SWR was all over the place and at one
point I tripped the power supply breaker. I
substituted the Ten Tec tuner because it uses a T
match instead of a PI match. I was able to get a good
1:1 match on 20 and 80.  But the maximum power I could
get out of the SB-200 was 275 watts on 80 meters
(3955) and the best it would do on 20 (14,255) was 250
watts.  The SB-200 is putting out 100 watts and I
drive about 70 into the SB-200. So I guess my question
concerns the SB-200's lack of power and any
suggestions as to alignment or final replacement. How
much should an SB-200 put out on a good day with a
tail wind? Thanks in advance for your help.

=====
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH
cshyde at yahoo.com
Eagles May Soar, But Weasles Never Get Sucked Into Jet Engines!

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov