Dayton

Ray Friess rayfri at INQUO.NET
Mon Mar 20 11:15:03 EST 2000

I agree with Carl ... unfortunate that I have to though.
Our last swap meet last month was a dud ..  NO NONE  NADA when it came
to the vintage stuff.  Last year there was lots, the year before even
more.
     Being easier to go the post office is true but sad.  To me thats
like saying .. i'll hire someone to put up a tower, install my 7 element
beam for 20 and do everything else so all I have to do is sit down and
flip the switch.  Takes the fun out of hamming.  My fondest memories are
climbing around on the roof of my parents home in the middle of winter,
stringing up antennas and trying new things...  I know, its not exactly
the same thing as going to the post office... but I'm trying to express
the sense of adventure and fun and comraderie that goes with swap
meets.. even if you have to haul the stuff around.  Maybe we could hire
moving companies to take our gear out to field day sites.. HI HI.
     And.. I STILL say that you may get more on the auction site, but if
money is the whole object... and there's no "spirit" involved ... then
open a ham radio shop..  (and i'm NOT slamming the commercial shops with
that comment either).
     One little mea culpa too..  I myself have used auctions when I have
no choice for various reasons.... but I still have a twinge of
conscience when I do  HI HI.
     Ray  WA7ITZ

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov