HW-101 Problem

Will, Mark mark.will at LSIL.COM
Tue Mar 21 15:36:29 EST 2000

David,

I think you are looking in the right area.  I have seen full output
problems like this caused by self-oscillations.  This can happen
when the coil cover is removed or if the switch shields are not
properly grounded.  There is a HW-101 service bulletin that suggests
replacing the 1 1/4" ground wires with 3/4" wires.  Also it is
suggested that the heterodyne crystal, grid and plate switch boards
and shields be soldered to the board combs.  If you have one of the
older HW-101's, the combs may be aluminum in which case they should
be replaced with steel ones.  You might also want to make sure your
heterodyne crystals are good and that the het. oscillators are
running ok.

Mark C. Will  KB0QIE
E-mail: mark.will at LSIL.com
LSI Logic Storage Systems, Inc
3718 N. Rock Road
Wichita, Kansas 67226-1397
Phone:  (316) 636-8088
FAX:    (316) 636-8889

-----Original Message-----
From: D Nance [mailto:dmnance at ROANOKE.INFI.NET]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 9:44 PM
Subject: HW-101 Problem

Well, I give up.  It's time to call in the experts.

I spent the better part of Sunday cleaning up and working on a HW-101.
I went through the entire alignment procedure and then noticed a strange
problem which may or may not have existed before I worked on it:

The unit is working fine on receive and transmits fine on 80 and 40
meters.  However, on 20, 15 and 10 meters it shows out full output
regardless of where the "Mic-CW gain" control is set.  Also, when I key
the mic, I get full output.  Any ideas.

My first suspicion was the shielding in the coil and bandswitch area.  I
resoldered some of the shield connections but that did not seem to help.

Any advice would be appreciated.

73,
David Nance - W4SSE
dmnance at roanoke.infi.net