Core for HW-8

Thomas Rees trees at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Mar 22 18:01:30 EST 2000

After lurking here for quite a while (and getting some great information!
Thanks to all!), I've hit a wall I haven't seen an answer to. Hopefully
that will change!

Among the many fixit up and put it on the air projects I've got in the
shack, is an HW-8. Works well at the moment with the following exception.
I've got good output on all bands except 40. Almost nothing there. I've
checked the driver and it is fine, supplying the PA with about the same
oomph as the other bands. I've traced through the final circuit, lines ,
caps etc and all seems fine. I found what I think is my answer at KB9JJA's
web page (thanks!). Posted there is a fine writeup on toroid problems in
HW-8s on 80 and or 40 meters. (written by WA8MCQ- again, thanks!) My
problem now? I can't find the toroid?%!$#@ It calls for an FT37-60. I tried
to locate a supplier but failed rather completely. I did pickup some
FT37-61 cores, but on re-reading the article, found it states that using an
FT37-61 won't work. (anybody want some?? I've got several now!)

So, does anybody have one of these little fellows? Does anybody know where
to get one?? Does anybody know a workable substitute??

tnx, 73

Trees - KB7XL

Administrator - CCIT Instructional Support

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov