Help - Zero Beat

Mark S Graalman wb8jkr at JUNO.COM
Fri Mar 24 11:31:20 EST 2000

  Bob, you basically answered your own question. When you
tune in a signal for a zero beat you simply are tuning the receiver
to the EXACT  same frequency of the test signal. When the receiver
is tuned off the test signal frequency, then the tone you hear is the
audio difference between the receiver frequency and the test signal
frequency. In the case of the HW -101 I think you'd want to go for
max S meter reading or monitor the AGC line to indicate max signal
because the BFO in the receiver is "offset" by about 1.5 Khz from the
actual carrier frequency.

Mark  WB8JKR

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:00:46 -0500 Bob Ahrens <alphasig at EARTHLINK.NET>
writes:
> Group,
>
>     Can someone please explain the idea of zero beating a receiver
> to a known signal?
>
>     I know what zero beat means when it refers to two audio
> signals... simply meaning that two signals are at exactly the same
> freq., eliminating the beating effect. However, I am trying to align
> an HW-101 and there are constant references to zero beating the
> receiver to either the calibration signal or a known frequency.
> Since there is only one signal, say the 3.7 MHz cal signal, how do I
> zero beat the receiver??
>
> Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
>
> 73
> KC2FYG
> Bob

Sponsored by the City of Tempe