RFI and GFI's

Edward Swynar VE3CUI gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Sat Mar 25 05:19:13 EST 2000

Hi Ken...

Seems like everyone got a wee bit sidetracked trying to respond to your cry
of help! Hi Hi...

My own experience with GFI's continues to plague me, i.e. I have one in the
main level bathroom, immediately North of the location of my tower
(probably about 30 feet of separation, or so)---whenever I run a KW on
20-meters, with the beam pointing north, I trip the GFI.

With the rig pointing anywhere else, or when operating on any other
band---any power---I have no problem.

I've concluded that the AC line to the GFI must be of such a length (by
sheer chance/dumb luck) as to be resonant on 20-meters---with the 3-element
yagi pointing its way, bad things happen!

You might try an old Bill Orr trick, i.e. get a 3-wire plug with AC bypass
capacitors installed inside, connected from each of the "hot" pins to the
ground pin (0.001 ufd., I believe, was the value recommmended for each):
plug this "...line de-tuner" right into the GFI & see what happens.

Lethargy precludes me from executing this potential "fix" in my own
situation---besides, it only happens when I beam northward, & I've become
used to that fact! Still, I would be curious to know if you might try this,
& the results of same...thanks!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

---------

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov