HEATH Digest - 24 Mar 2000 to 25 Mar 2000 (#2000-86)

Steve & Anne Ray sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sun Mar 26 10:28:55 EST 2000

I have had a slightly different experience with GFIs.  I recently installed
one in my late father-law-house in the kitchen.   After a few minutes it
would pop off.  I traced the lines and found it went to the refrigerator,
unplugging that did not cure the problem.  The next outlet in the line had a
surge protector in it.  That was the cause of the problem.  I tried the
surge protector in the GFI (brand new and expensive) in my ham shack and it
pop it over immediately.  It pop over the GFI in my bathrooms after several
minutes.  I conducted a break down test on the surge protector and found
that one of the surgistors broke down about 120 V.  Needless to say I
disposed of the surge protector.

Let's remember these GFIs are for our protection and with old ham gear,
transformerless radios etc.  it is worth it to protect ourselves.   I still
believe in the old ARRL campaign "Switch to Safety".

73,
Steve Ray K4JPN ex K1VKW HW-101, HW-8, OHR-100A, SWL 30-40 and NC 38S
HeathKit fan
Warner Robins GA EM82fp