RFI and GFI's

George T. Baker w5yr at ATT.NET
Sun Mar 26 21:19:35 EST 2000

This is one place where common-mode current does you a favor. It is the
difference between the current in the main line and its associated
neutral that will trip the GFI if it exceeds typically 5 ma. Now, this is
supposed to be 60 Hz, but they just run two wires through a ferrite core
and apparently it works just as well at 20 meters!

If the breaker is not defective, somehow either the main or the neutral
is picking up more r-f than the other and that resulting current
differential is probably what is tripping it.

72/73, George
Fairview, TX   30 mi NE Dallas in Collin county
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 54th year and it just keeps getting better!
R/C since 1964 - AMA 98452   RVing since 1972       Kachina #91900556

Edward Swynar VE3CUI wrote:

> My own experience with GFI's continues to plague me, i.e. I have one in the
> main level bathroom, immediately North of the location of my tower
> (probably about 30 feet of separation, or so)---whenever I run a KW on
> 20-meters, with the beam pointing north, I trip the GFI.
>
> With the rig pointing anywhere else, or when operating on any other
> band---any power---I have no problem.
>
> I've concluded that the AC line to the GFI must be of such a length (by
> sheer chance/dumb luck) as to be resonant on 20-meters---with the 3-element
> yagi pointing its way, bad things happen!

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov