need help with ailing sb-101

Mark V. Johnson VE3DJU mjohnson at CA.IBM.COM
Sun Mar 26 21:49:40 EST 2000

I have the same problem with my SB-301/401 Combo...The receiver is slow to
"recover" after coming off transmit. I have not isolated yet BUT I found
that the problem seems to be in the RF Amp stage. The bias is going
negative 5 volts (cutoff) to zero, a bit too slow. Here's the interesting
point, if I put my hi impedance VTVM probe on the input grid pin (pin 1)
the voltage decays to zero in a snap and the receiver recovers normally. If
I go from transmit to receiver with the VTVM probe on the grid (pin1) the
receiver functions normally. Even more weird, it only happens on the higher
freq bands. 80 and 40, no problem. 20, 15, 10, it has the problem. My guess
at this point is I'm getting RF into the input circuit (rectification??)
and its charging up the cap on the input. The VTVM is enough "draw" to pull
it down normally... Have more checking to do.....What say ye, experts??
Thanks as always!!

Mark V. Johnson
Service Delivery Branch Manager
Metro Banking & DPM Profession
416-718-2726

---------------------- Forwarded by Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM on 03/26/2000

Steve & Anne Ray <sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET> on 03/26/2000 05:35:48 PM

Please respond to Steve & Anne Ray <sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET>