New e-mail Virus

Mark Adams madams0 at US.IBM.COM
Thu May 4 17:27:39 EDT 2000

Just received this and thought I would post it to the list.

Take care, Mark

HEATHKIT is Ham Radio's living heritage!

---------------------- Forwarded by Mark Adams/Columbus/IBM on 05/04/2000
05:22 PM ---------------------------

As posted on the Virus Emergency Response Team's web page <
http://w3.virus.ers.ibm.com/ > and documented in the notes below, there is
a mass breakout of a new worm which the Symantech AntiVirus Research Center
is currently calling VBS.LoveLetter.A  It is a new virus which was recently
discovered in Europe and apparently has just hit the US.  Although there is
yet no virus definition for this virus, all users should immediately delete
any e-mail that has:

   Subject:  I LOVE YOU

   Attachment in e-mail: LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs

This is a dangerous virus that must not be spread.  I'm sure a fix will be
forthcoming and forced via our antivirus software, but in the interim
please pass the word to either your site reps and/or the management team
you support.

All,

Please be advise that there is a VERY SERIOUS virus being passed in a file
with this subject matter.  The file was received by someone on our Endicott
Development Team.  It automatically looked at her address book and mailed
to everyone that existed in a distribution group or as an individual.   IBM
Virus Cert has been notified and a Sev 1 ticket is opened.   Please delete
the email immediately if you receive it.

Take Care,

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov