Bumblee & Kits

PHILLIPS FAMILY pphillips at CITYNET.NET
Tue Oct 3 13:04:07 EDT 2000

     Heath People,
With all the Buzz (sorry) about the bumblebees, and building kits, i
have a couple of thoughts. First, when i see a bumblebee
i give him all the space he needs to, fly, swim or walk, what ever turns
him on. That's all i have on the bumblebee. On kits,
i have been a broadcast engineer for some 38 years, both radio and tv.
There was a time when you could actually pickup the parts you were going
to install in something, these days you can hardly see them. We had a
test bench with thousands of dollars worth of test equipment, and spare
boards of every kind, with extender cards up to the gazoo ( i don't know
if that's spelled right ) and still never had what we needed, the point
being most of the new stuff is not field serviceable. I believe i'm
right in saying, that most of the solid state kits heath putout near the
end, the boards were built and aligned at the factory. The average ham
could never construct a modern transceiver. I have an icom, kenwood, and
my heathkit SB 303, and SB 401, 90% of the time when i'm on the air i'm
on my heathkits, they just feel different to me, call me nuts if you
wish. If someone would go back a few years in time and design some tube
equipment, yes tubes, maybe the younger generation could have what we
old timers had, and maybe the old timers would like to have something in
kit form they could build again.
                                                Thanks for your time 73,
Phil K8YNG

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov