Rochester Hosstraders report.

Gerald C. Lemay wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM
Sun Oct 8 14:40:14 EDT 2000

Went to the Rochester Hosstraders Hamfest yesterday and had a good time. The
weather was exceptionally pleasant for a change. It was a very sunny, and
crisp fall day typical of New England at this time of the year. Saw a few
interesting things I'd like to tell the group. First was the deal of the
year, which I passed up. A Heathkit SB-110A with power supply, speaker, and
microphone for $150.00. Thought about buying it for myself and then resell
it for a lot more money but that would take the fun out of Ham Radio.
Somehow, when the hobby becomes business, something gets lost. Besides, I
already have an SB-110A. Was looking for a DX-60B but didn't see one worth
taking home. There was the usual assortment of SB line equipment for those
who might be interested. Prices ranged from low to ridiculous. For example,
the chap who had a Hammarlund HQ-110 for sale at $400.00!!! Went unsold, of
course. I don't necessarily have a problem with someone asking for that kind
of money, I think it just shows a lack of situational awareness. No-one is
forcing anyone to buy that receiver at the point of a gun or else. If
someone thought it really was worth that much money, then good for the
seller. It's not for me. Saw a receiver I didn't know even existed. It was a
Realistic GCR-1. At first I thought it was a Gonsett G-33 as described in
Moore's book and also Osterman's, which it probably was but it was a factory
unit made for Radio Shack! I learned something new. I came away with a
Heathkit VF-1 that looked in fair shape. Got it for $25.00. Thought I'd have
to repaint the cabinet until I cleaned it up. Sure it's got a few scratches
here and there but nothing exceptional, considering its age. It will look
good next to my DX-20. The VF-1 is running on the bench right now but will
need calibrating. Got the manual for it on W4XL's BAMA web site. Neato! The
other item I got for $20.00 is a Lafayette HE-73 Precon. Pretty neat gadget
for boatanchor receivers. It either works as a preamp for 80-10 meters or
converts 20, 15, 10 meters down to 80 meters. This will come in handy for
the HR-10B receiver. I'll have the stability and dial accuracy of 80 meters
as well as increased sensitivity while receiving on 10 meters. This will be
the last Hamfest for me until next spring.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov