HW-16 Problem w/side-tone

Martin Buinicki MailfrmPA at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 9 21:37:21 EDT 2000

My thanks to all who have offered advice. I have found the problem! And it
was mechanical, not electronic: The vfo input jack center lug was grounded to
the transformer case.

Here is some interesting history on this rig. I got it last week as a
package: "nearly finished HW-16, unopened HG-10B vfo, and SP-600 speaker,
unassembled."  Cost me $150.00, the asking price.

In inspecting the HW-16 to check construction progress (none of the items
except the vfo has a manual), I found that it was complete except for the
connections to the meter, used to read PWR and PLATE. As these are not the
last steps in my old manual, I was puzzled. Upon plugging it in, I got
nothing- no tube filaments, no pilot lite, zip. I was checking the power
supply when I noted that one lead of the 110V cord was connected to a
terminal strip, all alone! No other connection. I imagine, therefore, that
the rig never worked, and the disappointed builder then never even started
the VFO and speaker that were to be parts of his station. Sad, huh?

Of course I have found multiple other glitches; tube sockets not soldered to
the pc board, components not soldered to terminal strips, etc. But, with
time, I hope to have this rig up and running for the first time!

Martin
KØMB

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov