Digital modes

Sandy Blaize ebjr at I-55.COM
Fri Oct 13 16:22:04 EDT 2000

----------
> From: John Barkow <KD6PT at AOL.COM>
> To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
> Subject: Digital modes
> Date: Friday, October 13, 2000 11:28 AM
>
> Hi gang.  Thanks for all the input to my question about digital modes in
the
> upcoming cw QSO party.  Out here on the west coast signals are pretty
scarce
> on 20 meters most of the time.  I have worked a lot of PSK 31 on 10
meters
> and have gotten several new numbers.  I believe the purpose of 10-10 is
> make contacts and utilize the band as much as possible and any acceptable
> form of communications should be utilized to make contacts.  I plan to
use
> RTTY using the MMTTY program as well as PSK31 using either Digipan or
> Zakanaka.  If make enough contacts, I will submit my log and let the
powers
> to be decide what is acceptable and what is not.  Lets face it, gang.
Times
> are changing and we must utilize the band as much as possible or we will
> surely lose it.   Good luck to everyone  and enjoy 10-10.
> John kd6pt  #68824 VP 3001

        I have no problem with digital modes except that it is my opinion
that "digital" and "manual CW telegraphy" are not really compatible on
the same sub-band.  I know some digital types who keep their loudspeaker
muted and have no qualms about sitting on top of a nearby CW QSO.
Generally, they keep the receivers narrowed down to very minimal
bandwidths as well.  To add to the demise of the "manual Morse" operator
is the relaxation of 'voice" rules in neighboring countries.  Mexican SSB
is all over the U.S. CW bands now and is a growing problem.
Friends that live near the Canadian border are suffering from the same
"syndrome".  To add to that, the Mexican Federales and drug runners
seem to like to use the ham bands (CW portion) for their operations!
        Increased pressure from SSB operators worldwide for more
band space will no doubt aggravate the situation even more in the
very near future,  The FCC still hasn't come up with any re-allocation
of the Novice sub-band as of yet.  My guess is that it will be added to
the "voice" segments on 80/40/15 meters.
        I would hasten to add that I'm not "against" digital modes,
but that perhaps the remaining CW sub-band should be divided
between digital and "manual" modes of telegraphy, thereby
alleviating any mutual interference between these modes.
73,
Sandy W5TVW

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov