Soldering - is it carcinogenic?

Chuck W4MIL CEMILTON at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 16 19:41:43 EDT 2000

In a message dated 10/16/00 4:25:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
optom at ATTGLOBAL.NET writes:

> Question - is it the lead or tin or the flux which is carcinogenic? And
>  how is it carcinogenic - ingestion or inhalation of fumes during
>  soldering? How much at risk are we?

Harvey,

 When was the last time you were struck by a meteor?  Sure, too much of
anything will cause an adverse reaction in the human body.  But with normal
care taken during soldering, there is most likely little risk.  Now, the rat
poison and mercury consumers will differ with this.  BTW, just how much
soldering are you doing.  I repair stuff, and have for years.  Soldering is
the least of my activities.

Your mileage, and others, may vary.

73 de W4MIL

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov