Regarding those credit card solicitations

Tim Kemp WB4BAH tkemp at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Oct 18 09:13:29 EDT 2000

David Griffin wrote:

> I haven't seen one yet that, at the bottom, doesnt tell
> you how to stop them.  Either reply with the word remove
> in subject line, or go to a www address and fill in your email
> address, or whatever.  Most of us are too annoyed to read through to
> the bottom of the message and don't notice how to stop
> them.

Problem is, most of these addresses don't work.  About 8 times out of 10
you get back a message from the postmaster telling you the address
doesn't even exist.  Another 1 of 10 come back telling you to try your
message again later due to the mailbox being full.

The remaining 1 of 10 where it does work normally use your reply to
>>>confirm your email address<<< to a bulk emailer and to show them that your are, in fact, one of the people who will "read through to the bottom of the message" and are therefore one of the best ones to have on the bulk emailing lists.

The ones which have you go to a website to be removed are normally all
being used to confirm your address for bulk mailers.

But, now that I have just done myself what I am about to preach
against...

What has this got to do with Heathkit and why are we discussing it here?

--

Tim Kemp  Amateur Radio Station WB4BAH
tkemp at kemp-family.com
wb4bah at arrl.net
wb4bah at mindspring.com

AOL Instant Messenger  -  Tim D Kemp
AOL Instant Messenger  -  Tim WB4BAH
Yahoo Instant Messenger - td_kemp

The Kemp Family Homepage
http://tkemp.kemp-family.com
Genealogy info on KEMP, STROTHER, MURPHY, and allied families.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov