How to free up wafer switches?

Jack Crenshaw jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Oct 23 18:23:19 EDT 2000

Many thanks for all those who recommended ways to free up stuck wafer switches.  I was
rather amazed that one could use WD-40 for this.  I would have thought it could get into
the contacts and mess up conductivity.  Live and learn.

I was talking to an expert on such things at work, and we shared two thoughts -- both
very, very far out.  First, he agreed with the WD-40 thing.  Also suggested isopropyl
alcohol, though I think he was talking about 100% stuff, not drugstore rubbing alcohol.

The discussion reminded me of an experience of my own, when I was struggling to get a
flywheel off the crank of a racing kart engine.  I tried everything, ruining the flywheel
in the process.  It was on a taper, and flat out would _NOT_ come off.

A friend and expert mechanic told me to try -- get this -- COCA-COLA!  He said it's the
best penetrating oil known to man. I was pretty skeptical, but also desparate, so I tried
it, leaving it to soak in overnight.  When I went down the next morning to check, the
flywheel was sitting cocked and loose on the shaft; it had popped off, of its own accord,
in the night.  That certainly made a believer of me.

Today, my colleague also mentioned turpines.  He said they're very good at cutting
grease.  Now, the stuff in turpen-hydrate is a turpine.  And turpen-hydrate is the same
stuff as Triple Sec.

So, now I'm going to mix up a Triple Sec and Coke brew, and see what that'll do.  I may
not free the switches up, but I bet I won't care anymore <g>.

Jack

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov