line voltage

Ed Kotkiewicz ekotkie at EZL.COM
Wed Oct 25 14:45:12 EDT 2000

Bob Meyer wrote:

> Here in westen New York erea ,I have lots of power problems all year long,
> Lots of storms last summer caused lots of power outages
> and LOTS of stuff burned out from spiks!!!
> Mostly VCR's and micro waves.
>
> I took some hits here but I have surge protectors all threw the house.I did have a few burned out.

EK> Bob brings out a strong position for surge suppressors.  They are really cheap
insurance.........BUT......The key to surge suppressors is the device that does the "suppression".
That device is called an MOV.  (Metal Oxide Varistor)  A good suppressor should have three of them to
properly cover the basic three nodes of house electrical wiring.  One from Gold-to-gnd, one from
silver to gnd and one from gold to silver.  Secondly, they should be sufficient in voltage spike
capability to handle a really big surge.  Thirdly, like many things in life, they degrade over time
and require replacement.  MOV's are pretty cheap and are handled by most of the good part vendors.
The type I use will handle a 5KVA spike.  Living in the midwest, I would recommend replacing them
about every three to four years.  Easy thing to forget.  Lastly, don't forget a supressor system for
your phone lines..........

> 1 nice thing with tube stuff ,is it can take surges better!!

EK> Ya, Bob but the tranny's can't stand surges, and thats the first thing the surge sees.........

Stay protected out there........

Ed

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov