GR-64 Info wanted

Deane D McIntyre dmcintyr at UCALGARY.CA
Fri Oct 27 11:36:38 EDT 2000

Gang:

My latest piece of Heath gear is is GR-64 which I acquired at
the Calgary hamfest last weekend. It looks very well built and
is in reasonable good shape. After fixing a broken wire to the
power switch it came to life as it should but is badly out
of alignment.

I have a copy of the schematic from the web but was wondering
if someone could provide alignment instructions for this
rather simple receiver. I notice that there are no trimmer caps
for Band D - does one use the trimmers on the main tuning cap
for this purpose, then go ahead and do bands A, B, and C?
If this is the case, than where is the ant. trimmer cap for
Band A? Perhaps the correct proceedure is to align Band A
first, using the trimmers on the main tuning cap, and hope
that the low end of band D comes out more or less correct
after aligning the high end with the iron cores in the coils in
the usual manner.

Anyhow, any help or advice would be appreciated. I have a
sig generator and VTVM (both Heath of course) so I want to
do a proper job of the alignment. Lastly, where should the
tuning pointer be positioned with the tuning cap fully
closed (or open)?

I also observed that the audio is lacking in bass - is this
the nature of this beast?

Thanks in advance,

73, Deane D McIntyre VE6BPO
dmcintyr at ucalgary.ca