Tuning SB-102 xmtr

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Sat Oct 28 09:57:38 EDT 2000

Mike, W5QKM, asked:

>I've picked up a nice SB-102 and plan to give it a shot this weekend.
Being new to Heath gear, I was
>wondering if there is anything unusual about tuning up the xmtr.  Or is it
pretty much "by the book"?  I'd
>appreciate any tips, hints or suggestions ya'll might have.  Tnx.

Mine tuned up by the book (more fun than the modern "dial'n'talk"). However,
if your serial number is below 5446, the driver preselector may peak in a
slightly different spot for transmit and receive. If yours is in this
category, there was a mod that may have been done - look for a 3-lug
terminal strip soldered to one of the shields between two of the PC boards
in the bandswitch assembly. (Info from Chuck Penson's "Heathkit: A Guide to
the Amateur Radio Products", Electric Radio Press, Inc., 1995).

There's also been a little talk on this list regarding the use of the old
rigs on the higher line voltage we see today, and that you might want to use
a variac or some other means of lowering your line to 110VAC.

Brian, W0DZ

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov