Heathkit EK-1 Voltmeter problem

Harvey A. Kader optom at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Mon Oct 30 17:54:57 EST 2000

Reji Martin wrote:

> I recently bought a Heathkit EK-1 Voltmeter  and it arrived damaged!
> During shipping the plastic cover on the meter was knocked off which also
> caused the meter components to come loose & bend the meter needle.
>
> The hair-like wires that attach to the back of the meter were broken off
> and the needle itself was twisted a bit but not badly or even broken.
>
> So this 'newbie' is going to tackle the repair job and was wondering
> if anyone had any idea of where I could get an assembly manual or
> something similar?
>
> Reji Martin

Hi Reji.

Meter movements are called D'Arsonval movements. Many have jewels in them(typically two),
a are EXTREMELY DELICATE. They are built the same way as mechanical watches. In essence,
they are mechanical watch movements.

So, unfortunately, once damaged they may be repaired, but they are NEVER the same as
before. I would recommend replacing the meter if you can find one, or just throwing the
whole thing out - it sounds like it is kaput. Once damaged, the accuracy is destroyed.

I hope this helps.

Harve.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov