W-5M part 54-32, 900vct transformer

Gene A Nailon k5dle at JUNO.COM
Tue Sep 5 23:11:10 EDT 2000

FROM: Gene Nailon  K5DLE  k5dle at juno.com
Edmond, OK  73034

SUBJECT: 73

Hello Pat Powers;

I can't help with the transformer you need.  I don't have any idea
what a W-5M is.  I am going to guess, from your xfmr description,
it's a 50 Watt HI-FI Amplifier.

As to the term 73, I might be able to help.  It is shorthand for
use when communicating by CW as Hams call it, other wise known as
International Morse Code.

    73 Means Best regards   or  73 = Best regards

It is faster and easier to send two letters  73  than 11 characters.

In Amateur Radio there are several like this  88 = Love and Kisses
There are also "Q" signals.  QTH = My location is or QTH? = What is
your Location?  There is a large number of these.

Aside from the fact that 73 should only be used when operating CW!!

There are a lot of "HAMS" who do not know how to use it.

            73 = Best regards               OK
         vy 73 = Very best regards          OK

The following is DUMB, DUMBER and DUMBEST.
or The Dragnet syndrome, Dum de Dum dum.

           73s = Best regardses             NOT OK
        vy 73s = Very best regardses        NOT OK
   Vy Best 73s = Very best best regardses   WORSE

          73's = Best regards's             WORSER
  Vy Best 73's = Very best best regards's   Vy WORSEST case's

Good luck with the transformer Pat.

Best regards,

Gene
Tue,  5 Sep 2000