Unusual Question???

Stewart D. Lyon slyon at PACIFICNET.NET
Mon Sep 11 22:53:07 EDT 2000

Hi Glen,
In my opinion, the best rig for you is the readily available SB-101 or -102.
The receiver is very sensitive (especially when the RFAmp is a 6HS6), the
VFO is stable and linear, and the CW operation is reasonably well thought
out.

The HW-101 is usually a little cheaper but the VFO is a real bugger to get
working right.

The SB-301,-401 makes a very nice SSB setup but not for CW. The problem is
feed-through of the BFO into the receiver when transmitting is very
annoying. The transmitter BFO is 1KHz different than the RX BFO and the
difference note is there all the time -- key up or down. I tried
grid-block-keying the TX BFO and it worked . . . sorta.

If you do go for a SB-101 / 2, be sure that it is a _working_ rig and that
it comes with the HP-23 power supply, connecting cable and manual. Trying to
get a non-working rig going is sometimes a real puzzler -- especially the
driver stage.

And the 400Hz CW filter would be nice.

Good luck on the code test.

73, Stu W6CUX.