Unbuilt Kits

Dean Milner wdmilner at NS.SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Sep 15 11:40:12 EDT 2000

At 04:43 PM 00-09-14 -0500, you wrote:
>Just by coincidence, I was at a industrial electronics supplier to pick up a
>couple feet of RG-62/U a couple weeks ago and found an unbuilt 1962 vintage
>Eico 720 CW transmitter kit sitting on a shelf.  There was no evidence of
>deterioration and even the resistors I spot-checked were good, but: it was
>minus the the two final tank coils and the bandswitch! :-(

I'm not surprised that the band switch was missing. It was probably
canabalized to repair another 720. I have replaced these on 2 seperate
720's (mine and another). THe contacts can take quite a beating from slow
tuneups (to say nothing of the tubes etc).

>Humble good-sport that I am, I'm prepared to face a few wise-crack replies
>(maybe post the best one to the list) in order to ask: is the 720 kit worth
>any $$?  Or ¢¢?

Worth a few bucks certainly for parts if nothing else. If you can replace
the missing parts it is a great little CW & AM transmitter, a rugged little
unit. My first transmitter was an Eico 720 which I still have. I was
fortunate enough that I got the 730 AM modulator and the 722 VFO at the
same time.

73, Dean
VE1CBF

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov