SB100,101 6hs6 sub and capacitors to correct "Miller" effect

Ed Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Fri Sep 15 09:59:01 EDT 2000

I just finished analyzing the circuit in question in a HW-101 (no
manual). please tell me if my analysis of the circuit is correct, if not
where did I go wrong?

In receive, I see +150 VDC being applied through a 100k resistor to the
diode anode, causing it to conduct and place the end of the 3.3 pf cap to
ground, placing it in parallel with the small section of the driver grid
tuning capacitor, increasing the total capacity by 3.3 pf.

In transmit, the +150 VDC is removed, allowing the -150 VDC bias to be
applied to the anode of the diode through a 1 megohm resistor, reverse
biasing it, effectively removing the 3.3 pf cap from the circuit.

What is the "Miller effect", and why does it occur? Why do you need 3.3
pf more capacity in receive? My education has obviously been
short-changed. Any response from you engineers out there will be
appreciated. Thank you.

Ed Richards

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov