Unbuilt Kits // Part 2

Shadow shadow at GILROY.COM
Fri Sep 15 18:18:46 EDT 2000

I have been thinking about this unbuilt kit statements, since I responded to a earlier post.

But first let me thank everyone that has sent me links to site on kits and projects especially

Jack Crenshaw

Now...
I can understand and most people understand the reasons people collect, car, stamps, coins,
watches and even string... well not really string. Some people collect what they can afford
rocks, barb wire, glass bottles or even power pole insulators.. Yea some are expensive but
most cost little or free.
Some even collect what people are throwing away or giving away, we call them "Pack Rats" and
the world has many. I'm one of them and have acquired some very nice gifts over many years.
About 9 months ago a friend of a friend arrived at my door with the first of 5  truck load of
Heath and other electronic stuff. He was cleaning a house out, the owner said junk it and he
thought of me. I was very lucky  15 pieces of Heath test gear, a complete SB-101 station,
SX-28, SX-42, Eddy Stone receiver and much more. A Thank You, Dinner and Gas Money was more
then he ever expected or wanted and to me that was not enough.

I think the major problem most people have is...
"You have a treasure you can not look it"  It in a box, factory sealed with just a part
number.. O'Boy I'm thrilled and for some people that may be good enough. But that is the value
and most people can not enjoy that value..

As I have written before, I'm in Silicon Valley. I have a friend the has one of the very first
Apple mother boards on his wall. In a beautiful handmade wooden frame with a spot light just
as if it was a High Relief $ 20 Gold piece or a rare painting. My office has a Fisher 400
receiver, fisher 200b tuner, Wharfedale speakers, Atwater-Kent compact 20, Viborplex bug, 9
different Heaths, 2 Eicos and even 2 Lafayette pieces and lots a small stuff. It like working
in a living museum and that it the fun of life for me, things are always changing around
here..

To me and I think many others that have written their thoughts...

Having a unbuilt kit in a sealed box.... Is equal to having a beautiful woman with clothing on
her and  covered with a rain coat
I say...  Take them off and put her in a skimpy bathing suit and show me some skin....

It hard for me to believe and we all know that somewhere....

There is a Heath CR-1 still in the original unopened box, along with the original order form
to Heathkit .
This is in a beautiful handmade wooden frame with a spot light shining on the part number...
Next to it is a little sign  " Heath Kit CR-1 Unopened " with a little picture...

That is all for now...

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov