Heathkit Tuner Question

Gerald C. Lemay wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM
Sat Sep 16 10:46:38 EDT 2000

My take on this is that tuner really didn't really become popular station accessories
until the advent of solid-state rigs. That would be sometime in the mid 70's. Solid-state
finals don't tolerate high SWR as well as tube-type rigs and need some type of means to
tune out reactances. The ARRL handbook had tuners described way before then but you
pretty much had to roll your own. Johnson had a fairly popular item which they called a
matchbox. Drake also had the MN-4 and MN-2000. Don't believe Heathkit had a tuner until
the late 70's (?). As a Novice back in '75, I had a Dentron Super Tuner which many people
were using at the time.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov