Heath Co. Info needed

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Wed Sep 20 22:18:24 EDT 2000

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this list, but not to Heathkit! I have built many Heathkits over
the years, from a GR-64 (still in use)to a GR-295 (which sadly, went to that
big museum in the sky many years ago). Operated a DX-100 and DX-60 and HR-10
in high school in the 60's, and used a VF-1 VFO with my homebrew rig from
1969 to 1973. Built an HM-15 SWR meter that I still use, and an AR-1302 that
my son used for a while for the stereo in his room. Still have an H-25
printer in storage, but I sold the H-89 computer that I used with it many
years ago. I just recently bought an SB-102, SB-600, HP-23 off EBay that I
use with my HD-10 keyer, and am waiting for a just-purchased IG-28 to arrive
so I can finally fix my big screen TV. I'm also working on acquiring a
collection of catalogs.

The reason for this message is to ask if anyone could provide info on who
owns Heathkit now (Chuck Penson, WA7ZZE told me it's a group of Florida
investors, but that's all he knew), how much revenue they get from their
educational programs today, and whether the old building in St. Joseph is
still there. I'd also be interested to learn when they changed the name from
Heath Co. to Heathkit Co.

I am a Hewlett-Packard (now Agilent Technologies)
application/business-development engineer with 27 years of experience in R&D
and marketing and am interested in reviving Heathkit. I'd like to hear how
much interest you think there would be in such an endeavor. I know it's been
talked about from time to time but never seriously considered. I am serious.
I believe that the forces that doomed Heathkit (ignoring the ill-fated
Zenith takeover, of course) can now be overcome, although I wouldn't
reconstruct the same exact company that was in place 10-20 years ago. I also
have a few new product ideas and would be willing to help create a business
plan. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any thoughts on this that
you'd like to discuss privately, at brianmwood at msn.com.

Brian Wood, W0DZ
Loveland, CO

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov