AT-1 q's, want & editorial comment

Steve Smith sigcom at JUNO.COM
Sun Sep 24 22:49:59 EDT 2000

Group,

I've owned a couple of Heathkits in the distant past and now that I'm old
and have some money to satisfy my indulgences, I'm attempting to
resurrect some units that are probably best suited for use as wheel
chocks.  To whit:

(1.) What is the H.V. secondary voltage/current rating of the AT-1 power
transformer?

(2.) What is the inductance/current rating of the power supply choke?

(3.) Does someone have an original AT-1 manual that they can make a copy
of for me?  I will pay reasonable copying
      costs and postage.   I have the schematic from 'net resources.  I
think mine is the earlier version.  It has the
      variable capacitors with the mounting bosses on either side of the
capacitor shaft.  (yes, I know I can buy a copy for
      $13 or whatever but I'm cheap.......er, frugal........yeah that 's
it, "frugal".)

During my recent forrays deep into the bowels of some Heathkit radios, I
have learned the following things:

(a.)  Heathkits go together in a certain sequence and that taking them
apart in anything other than the reverse
        sequence can be a real PITA (read:  difficult proposition).

(b.)  J.B. Weld works real good to repair broken ceramic rotary switches.

(c.)  One can un-stick old, cranky Heathkit rotary switches but as above:
 PITA.  Details upon request.

TIA,

Steve Smith

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov