Unscientific Poll

jq johnq at CHESAPEAKE.NET
Thu Sep 28 19:54:43 EDT 2000

Brian - you've asked some interesting questions. You may find some
interesting answers....

1. Yes I have, many (I guess it's in my blood). I've built an Elecraft K2,
some Ramsey's, some Elencos, some Velleman's, and of course, some Heathkits
including a vintage 2mtr HT. (I could have profited handsomely on this kit
on eBay if I didn't build it, but it's not the money). I collect unbuilt
Heathkits partially for the collectible aspect and partially for the
building pleasure. I have about 30 or so unbuilt Heathkits currently. I've
paid between $25 and $1500 for unbuilt kits with the average being around
$150-$200. This winter, I will assemble an unbuilt Heathkit Hero 1 (so what
if I paid $1200 for it on eBay, the pleasure cannot be counted in dollars).

2. Generally any kits that serve some functionality around the house (e.g.,
GD series, TV's, radios, and ham gear).

3. It would depend on the complexity of the kit.

4. a. (provided quality parts/tools were provided with adequate
instructions).

5. The Heathkit experience would be hard to resurrect. The Heathkit name (or
any variation thereof) will never replace the real thing. The closest
company on the market today to the Heathkit experience, quality, and pure
enjoyment of kit building is Elecraft. Ten-tec would be a distant second
place. However, both are ham radio kit makers. Velleman of Europe has
probably the largest variety of non-ham kits on the market but are difficult
to find and a bit pricey.

6. The generation that grew up with Heathkit, grew up at a time when
technology was equal to or less expensive to build than to buy. With today's
mass production and the introduction of surface-mount technology, providing
quality kits (of any genre) which cost less than their assembled
off-the-shelf cousins, and are physically the same size or smaller, would be
a difficult venture for most companies. Rapid technological growth and
imported electronics is what put Heathkit out of the kit business in the
first place - - not customer disinterest. Would today's kids have the
interest in kit building? Some would, but most were born in the
'give-it-to-me-now' generation and wouldn't have the patience for building
or the inclination for learning electronic theory.

... end of opinion, John KA0SEY