A Kit company - Like "Heathkit"

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 29 09:30:40 EDT 2000

Brian & to all the others of you who have interest in kit building...I wish
whomever wants to get into the business a hearty good luck and sincere best
wishes of success.  The values that made Heathkit a quality name, superb
customer service long before it was fashionable, employees always going the
extra mile for the customer, quality compnents, excellent construction
manuals.....et all.....could be begun again.  Don't make the same "miss-takes"
that were committed in the 70's and 80's.  Don't be what your "knot".  It would
take time and commitment.  There maybe some who can do this.  My best to those
who try.

Larry (KC8JX)

--- Brian Wood <brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM> wrote:
> Larry & Mike (et al),
>
> I think I may not be making my point quite right, so let me be more precise.
> I am not suggesting that Heathkit be revived as if it was 1975 again. It
> would be foolish to pretend that no advances have occurred in the
> electronics industry. Nor am I suggesting that the two-tone green wrinkle
> finish on large sheet metal panels be returned to glory. I am suggesting
> that the things that made Heathkits fun to build and use could be
> rejuvenated, and on a larger scale than anyone is attempting today. Those
> things are:
>
> 1. The motto: We won't let you fail. Service and tech support is essential.
>
> 2. Attention to detail. Manuals were one of Heathkit's greatest claims to
> fame. I see no reason to change that other than to update them based on
> standards of today. I would consider using CD-ROMs and web sites to let
> people download and print the assembly manual for a cost savings if they so
> chose. In other words , let's use technology where appropriate to make it
> possible to offer kits at a cost savings again. I recognize that not
> everyone wants to use a PC to print off a manual. Fine! We'll be happy to
> charge you extra for a printed manual! (By the way, all but one of you said
> you'd have no problem with this).
>
> 3.  Getting a few extra features that aren't available in store-bought
> equipment. Obviously today a few more things must be solved to make this
> practical, especially rapid development time for new products.
>
> 4. Breadth of products. I built a TV set, shortwave receiver, ham
> accessories, stereo receiver and computer/printer. My dad built a stereo amp
> and RC equipment. I think that too many companies are "starting small" and
> hoping to get big instead of working out a good, solid business plan,
> getting venture capital (and I mean a lot of venture capital -- millions of
> dollars), and starting up a real business. Not dabbling at it. That won't
> work in today's economy.
>
> 5. Pride. Not every kit was a masterpiece, was it? But the people who
> designed them put their heart and soul into them. And it showed in the huge
> acceptance of the products. The "family" atmosphere of a small company is so
> hard to achieve, isn't it! How many of us work for big guys who wish they
> could capture that small company feel? I agree that the chemistry of the
> people that created the Heathkit of the 60's-80's was special. But it does
> happen today too. All it takes is a management staff that "gets it". That's
> one of the things Heath lost in the 80's, due to all the forces Chuck
> mentions so eloquently in his book.
>
> 6. Spirit of competition. Heath SB series rigs were extremely popular
> because they offered compelling value for the time: they looked like Collins
> but cost half as much, they worked, they were relatively easy to build, and
> they had a few features that advanced the state of the art. Same with the
> [...]
 Comments:  Heathkit as most of us knew them and some of us worked for
 (myself included) was a special place at a special point in time.  We may wish
 that kit TV's and SB-102's were made again for us to buy, but that can never
 come back again.  If an Edsel were made again would it still draw the same
 attention?  If Collins were to start making 75A4's again would it be the
 same?  The electronic kits that Heath engineered were special....at the time
 they were in business.  And they had one "heck of a run", to paraphrase Chuck
 Penson.  If one were to "start' a kit company, Heathkit would certainly be a
 good model.  But another "Heathkit" would never be.  If another kit company
 started up, fine.  But don't try to have it be the same as the "olde"
Heathkit.

IMHO:  Larry (KC8JX), St. Joseph, Mi (one of the many former Ham's at Heath)

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's