Unscientific Poll

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Sat Sep 30 10:44:01 EDT 2000

Jack,

Here's an interesting tidbit that a coworker at Agilent told me about. He
said that many HP engineers built Heathkit color TVs because they could get
them either free or at a huge discount as part of the GI Bill. It was an
attempt by the government to foster the creation of more engineers after
WWII (or maybe Korea; it was before my time). Perhaps we need an equivalent
"Bill" today to rekindle youngster's fascination with electronics. I can
tell you that in our lab, there aren't many EEs left, and the ones that are
still there are getting retrained in CS. It's to the point that if you want
to design something, you might just have to subcontract it. Blecch.

The other thing that comes to mind is that perhaps in the 21st century, a
fundamental discovery will create a whole new industry that will fascinate
the next generation of kids. Maybe anti-gravity. Who knows? Perhaps there'll
be a new Mr. Heath making "flying car" kits. I know I'd make one!

Brian

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov