RCA connector at RF

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Sun Apr 8 00:45:41 EDT 2001

Hello:

The guy who got me interested in engineering was the head of the
microwave department at RCA Sarnoff Labs and worked at the power tube
plant in Pennsylvania.

He told me the RCA phono connector was actually a good balanced RF
connector up to a certain frequency...I don't remember what, but I think
it was well above 30 MHz, and pointed out the so-called UHF connector,
AKA PL-250/SO-239 were actually unbalanced. He pointed out that the
Collins S line and other commercial/military gear used either RCA
'phono' or type N.

The annoying part about the phono is the reliance on a friction-fit.

>Delete the following paragraph if you don't want to read non-Heath ramblings.<

Murray

On another note, anyone saw seen the General Radio "Hermaphodite
Connector" for the first time without being dyed-in-the-wool in the
industry would think someone was jerking his chain and not believe it
was a high-performance RF connector. And if in the same conversation
someone tried to tell him that there was a piece of test equipment
called a wobulator, he'd think he was going thru some kind of techie
hazing (anyone remember the Wouff Hong at ham conventions?) If you don't
know, don't ask...we're not allowed to tell ya, under penalty of Wouff
Hong-ing.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov