SB-104 again

Chuck W4MIL CEMILTON at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 9 16:55:16 EDT 2001

In a message dated 4/9/01 16:00:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mgrandy at TELUS.NET writes:

>  My
>  SB-104A seems to have an awful lot of oscillations (I think they're called
>  birdies) at various places on the dial. Seems I've heard about some mod or
>  other to fix this. Does anyone know about this?
>  Murray

Murray,

I have two 104A's that I've brought back from deaths doorstep and one
exhibited birdies as you've mentioned.  Before doing anything else, remove
the plug-in circuit boards and go over the entire chassis-----tightening
every screw you see.  Back them off 1/4 turn and re-tighten whenever
possible.  Secondly, check every IC that plugs into a socket.  It's not a bad
idea to carefully remove and then re-seat them.  Clean every contact in sight
then re-install the boards.  A good alignment is in order.

The above actions "cured" my 104A..........

The VFO can be rebuilt, but save that for absolutely last.  Not sure if all
this will fix yours, but its a suggestion..........

73 de W4MIL
Chuck

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov