HW-101 NO TEN METERS

Justin L Hall justin.hall at JUNO.COM
Fri Apr 13 18:39:36 EDT 2001

Jim-
Get your General, and you won't care about 10!
Just kidding.
I found the same problem with my Hot Water 101, but it was a burned 3300
ohm resistor in the audio board.  Same board as the OA2- anyway, and I
protected it with a .01 or .05 micro-farad capacitor (mylar) so it
wouldn't blow up again.  That resistor was a piece of junk that was in
there, so I replaced it with a new one and that solved the problem for
me.  I was also having all sorts of BIAS problems as well.
Make sure your power supply is doing what it's supposed to as well, but
BE CAREFUL, because it has to be hooked up to do it.  Make sure you have
a load on the antenna and speaker, so they don't blow out the audio
board.
I'm no expert either, I was a History guy (hence the advantage in OLD
radio sets!), but that's just what I encountered in my outstanding
HW-101.  You'll never want another radio when people come back to you and
tell you how good your signal sounds!  It's all I use, and I could afford
a newer set, I just can't let this one go.  Heathkits forever!
Justin
KB7LAK

Hi, I am new to this group and got here by recently buying a HW-101.  My
son and I are just breaking into ham radios.  We also have a HW-32.
Unfortunately, the HW-101 has some problems which with my limited
electronics knowledge has got me stumped.  My background is Chemical
Engineering and not electronics.  Growing-up most of our radio and TV
problems could be fixed by checking the tubes.  Here is the problem.  The
radio receives well on 80, 40, 20 and 15 meters.  I have yet to pick up a
signal on any of the four ten meter bands. There is noise on the bands
but
no signals.  I have replaced the OA2 voltage regulator and I have new
tubes
coming for V15, V10 and V4.  I checked out the bandswitch contacts. They
all appear to be making contact.  I found a broken wire which when
sodered
improved the audio output. I also have started to measure voltages.  The
B+
is good as is the filament voltages and the other voltages from the
HW-23.
I cannot measure a voltage for many of the low voltage locations shown in
the heath manual.  The plate current is low and I cannot push it up to 50
MA by adjusting the bias.  I can't say how the radio transmits as we are
not legal yet and we do not have a dummy load.  I would appreciate any
and
all help others in this group are willing to share.  Thanks in advance.

'name' 'call'"
Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov